Now that you’re thoroughly disgusted with Instagram and Facebook, it’s time to move on and look into other options. After all, the point was never to pledge allegiance to a particular company or service, but to share and discuss photos with others. We owe it to each other to use services that will best allow us thrive the right way, on our own terms.
And for my next trick, I will make Instagram disappear… Tadaa!
I have looked into several options for former Instagram users, but can only recommend one at this point. While there are no perfect solutions, the past few days on Tadaa have left me very impressed by the apps’ capabilities and in admiration of the people who inhabit that network.
Tadaa has some impressive editing capabilities and social networking features. While I cannot possibly list all of the positives here, I will share some insights that I discovered as well as those that Tadaa users shared with me. These should be particularly striking to those of you who can contrast them with your prior experience on Instagram.
Here are some of the great things about Tadaa:
- Post any size/shape of photo - not just squares
- Impressive editing capabilities - large selection of filters, frames, and fine tuning options - all for free
- Apply multiple filters to a single photo
- Apply filters by custom amounts/percentage
- Save edited photos to the camera roll, as well as manage both edits and originals in-app
- Like and reply to specific comments, like on a blog/discussion forum
- Post captions/comments of varying lengths and with line breaks
- Reply to others’ posts with a photo instead of text - great for contest/special topic submissions
- Repost others’ photos and have your photos reposted the right way - the original poster gets the credit and attention.
- “Awesome” page lists random photos, new users’ photos, and the most popular photos over the past 24 hours
- No hash tags - save some time (but also no ability to easily find photos by topic)
- No spammers, teens posting self-pics, people begging for followers, etc. (let’s keep it that way)
- Pan and zoom photo posts to view them in detail
- Rotate your device to view photos in portrait or landscape
- Set quiet hours to silence notifications
- Touch controls for navigating and editing photos
- Stylish, professional user interface
- Automatically provided with a photo blog online (example)
- View photos in great resolution, but without eating up your data plan (I tested it over 3G and it somehow uses about 1% the data that Instagram requries)
- Network of excellent photographers and digital artists who respect copyrights
Granted, Tadaa has been hammered with former Instagram users looking for a new home. Thus, its performance has suffered over the past few days. However, it looks to be the best alternative and has a very promising culture and application. I think it is worth giving Tadaa a chance to work through its growing pains, because if it is able to accommodate its new demand, it will by far be much better than Instagram was, even at its best.
I recommend Tadaa for mature adults who enjoy sharing and discussing quality, creative photography. You can find me under the username quick. I look forward to seeing you there and hope that we can continue to develop Tadaa into an excellent photo-sharing network.