If you’re planning to quit Instagram amidst the recent takeover by Facebook, you may want to export and save all of your photos prior to deleting your photos and deleting your account. Below are the steps you need to take to export and save your Instagram photos.
- Using your web browser, navigate to http://instaport.me.
- Click on the Sign in with Instagram button.
- You will be transferred to the Instagram website and asked to authorize the connection. Click on the Yes button. Note that you may need to login with your Instagram username and password first.
- You will be returned to the instaport website. Select the Download .zip file radio bubble and click on the Start Export button.
- You will be notified that your export is running. Note that this process can take quite some time, so it is recommended that you move on to other things and revisit the site later.
- Once the process has finished, click on the Download Photos button to download your Instagram photos to your computer in a .zip archive.
Note that instaport is not functioning well due to high traffic following the announcement that Facebook would takeover Instagram. An alternative Instagram photo export app for Mac OS X 10.7 is available from developer David Smith.
You now have your Instagram photos preserved and can take them with you when you find a better social network to share them on.